Thursday 6 June 2013

Takara Barber Chair Restored - Part 2

Part 2 on the restoration of mechanical barber chair. As I understand it, the Takara barber chair was made before the 1940s according to the barber who gave them to me. Of course he bought it second hand. I have been going to this barber ever since I started paying for my own haircut.

And the first cut of the final product...
 photo 08BarberChairAtHomeWeb01.jpg

So I put the barber chair in my living room and got a earful from my wife… She said it is so old looking, blah, blah, blah… So I did the unthinkable. I took apart the chair again and decided to look for a company to clean and chrome all the metal parts. Even after the first round of restoration, you would not believe the amount of hair still found on the chair!
 photo 09BarberChairAtHomeWeb02.jpg

Found one in Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park willing to take it on. Took a lot of persuading before they agreed to do it for me. But only for one chair and that took another 3-4 months. Take apart the chair myself was an interesting exercise. And the toughest part was putting it back together… another round of headache but well worth it!
 photo 11BarberChairFinalProductWeb01.jpg

And now, the final product... Finally!
 photo 12BarberChairFinalProductWeb02.jpg
 photo 13BarberChairFinalProductWeb03.jpg

Took me about one whole year from start to finish to have it fully restored. Satisfaction!

11 comments:

  1. I really like your website and your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement. Hope you like the rest of the articles too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eddie, I have recently managed to get hold of a similar takara chair and would be most grateful if I could ask you a few questions with regard to the restoration done by you. Grateful if you would be willing to help and please let me know how I can contact you or I can let you know how you can reach me. Thanks! - Most sincerely, Liam

      Delete
  3. Hi Liam, sure I can assist. Will send you an email with the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eddie,

    Thanks for your sharing and I have benefitted much with more enthusiatism.
    I have also recently gotten a Takara. hoping to restore to her former glory.
    Will you be able to share your restoration challenges and also the contacts to go about my project.
    you can email me babyknight@gmail.com
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eddie, I would like to have mine "Takara" refurbished. Would u have the time to restore them (2 pieces) for me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eddie, I have the same barber chair as yours, can I know the process of making it chrome and new..thanks
    Yusran

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eddie! Awesome restoration there!
    I just got myself a takara barber chair and need to do restoration to it.

    Mind sharing me where u did the upholstery and chroming?

    Can email me at zyratulakhdiyat@gmail.com

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eddie! Awesome restoration there!
    I just got myself a takara barber chair and need to do restoration to it.

    Mind sharing me where u did the upholstery and chroming?

    Can email me at zyratulakhdiyat@gmail.com

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Zyratul, please write to me at eddiesng1011@gmail.com and I will share with you how and where I did the restoration. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The restored Takara Barber Chair looks stunning! Impressive craftsmanship and attention to detail evident in this blog post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete